Sunday, January 12, 2014

Boston Marathon Countdown: 14 Weeks

It's hard to believe that I've already completed 2 of my 16 weeks of Boston training.  I'll be running the Boston Marathon in less than 100 days. It's still sinking in.  I mean, one year ago I had just signed up for my first marathon and never in a million years would I have thought I'd be where I am today!  Ah, but I won't get all misty-eyed on you now. Time to talk training.

I decided to following the Intermediate 16-Week Program from the Boston Marathon website.  It's a lot more intense than my last training plan, which was Hal Higdon Intermediate 1.  That was an 18-week plan so it was a slower build-up, incorporated cross-training, didn't talk speed work, and overall had less mileage.  I tweaked it here and there and it certainly worked out just fine, getting me 2 Boston Qualifiers in 8 weeks, but this time I wanted to up the ante a bit. In November and December I was maintaining 40 miles a week so I knew I was ready!

Here's a look at my first 2 weeks:


*NOTE - I don't show my cross-training days on my running plan but I also cycle 1-2 days for 50 minutes and do strength-training throughout the week.  

Due to running on the ice and snow, I haven't been varying my pace on the days that call for tempo and interval runs.  That's something I need to start working on.  So for now I've just been going out and getting in the miles, essentially making them all distance runs with the exception of my MLR on the weekend (which I do on Saturdays because of RUNdetroit).  Hopefully the roads will be less icy this week or next for some speed work. If not I suppose the indoor track or treadmill wouldn't kill me once a week for that.

These next two weeks are going to be challenging.  I'm looking at 50-60 mile totals for each, including some weekdays with 8-11 and 10-12.  I'll have to get up extra early in the morning to get those runs in!  Worst case I'll run doubles and do some miles before work and some after.  It isn't as ideal as getting them all in at once but it's an option.  

We'll see how these next 2 weeks go.  I'll keep you posted!

Are you training for a spring race?  Tell me about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment