Wednesday, August 24, 2011

PB2 Smoothie

So it's taken me almost a month to use my precious PB2 for anything other than PB2 Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls but finally I made what I've been thinking about making for weeks - the PB2 Smoothie.  Katie makes it all the time and while it sounded delicious, I just love the cookie dough balls too much to use the PB2 for anything elseWhen she returned from a recent Seattle trip with FOUR jars for me, however, I figured I could spare some for a smoothie.

So the other day I made the smoothie.  Wow!  That's just about all I can say.  Wow!  It is so creamy and delicious.  It has the taste and consistency of a milkshake.  A healthy milkshake!  It is going to join the regular rotation of my favorite dessert-like smoothies - Banana Chamomile, Oatmeal Raisin Cookie, and the latest - Carrot Cake.  I already have plans for some variations so I'll call this the Basic PB2 Smoothie.

If you don't have any PB2, you can substitute regular peanut butter.  (And then order yourself some PB2 today!)



Basic PB2 Smoothie
Ingredients:

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 tbsp. PB2 
Agave (to taste)
1/8 tsp. xanthan gum (optional - makes it even creamier) 
1-2 frozen bananas (cut into chunks before freezing)
Small handful ice cubes

Directions:

1. Combine almond milk, PB2, agave, and xanthan gum (if using) in your blender.

2. Add frozen banana chunks and ice; blend until smooth.  

Makes 1 serving.


Do you make peanut butter smoothies?  What's your favorite recipe?

22 comments:

  1. So glad Katie gave you some to try. I knew you'd like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been eating pb2
    for a few years now
    and absolutely love it

    thanks for the smoothie recipe!

    {alison}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make my peanut butter smoothie with Arbonne protien powder and Arbonne fiber plus one tbsp of peanut butter and a 1/2 cup of almond milk. So delicious I will not try any other combo for my protein shakes bc it is so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are the advantages of PB2 over regular peanut butter? (or natural nut butters?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charissa,
      PB2 is lower in fat and calories than regular peanut butter - only 1.5 grams of fat and 45 calories per 2 tbsp serving vs. 16 grams of fat and 188 calories in regular PB. This is the main advantage. It's low in sugar and sodium and still has 5 grams of protein.

      Delete
    2. Where can this be purchased?

      Delete
    3. You can buy it at Whole Foods. I buy mine at Kroger so check your local supermarket if it has a "healthy foods" section. Worst case, if you can't find it in stores, you can order online.

      Delete
  5. What's the total protein count in this shake, I'm doing my best to due high protein for healing, after surgery. And this looks and sounds soooooo tasty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7-8, depending on if you use 1-2 bananas. There's 5g per 2 tbsp of PB2, 1g in the almond milk, and about 1g per medium banana. Soy milk has 8g protein/cup, hemp has 5g/cup. Those might be better options if you want to up the protein content. I apologize it took me so long to respond to your question! Good luck with healing!

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of PB2. Where can it be purchased? While Foods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Whole Foods has it. I buy mine at Kroger so check your local supermarket if it has a healthy food section.

      Delete
    2. I hate bananas! And I'm looking for a chocolate peanut butter smoothie to make with PB2. Any suggestions?

      Delete
    3. 1/2 or 1 avocado would add the same creaminess of a banana and you wouldn't taste it at all.

      Delete
    4. I just ordered my first jar of PB2 powder on lined can't wait to try it!

      Delete
  7. Amazon sells it so much cheaper...give them a try, I use it all the time and love PB!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Publix has it on the top shelf of the PB section. They also have two other brands.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try it with the new Silk Cashew milk. Wow, this is great! Next time will throw in a little cocoa powder to see how that is. Thanks for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pb2 comes in chocolate too. On the pb shelf here

      Delete
  10. I add fresh spinach. Turns the smoothie an army green but you don’t taste it at all and you get your veggies that are so good for you.

    ReplyDelete