Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Attention PB Lovers!

Christmas came early this year.  A few weeks ago my friend Katie had her mom visiting from Vegan Heaven on Earth.  (You might know it as Seattle.)  Her mom came bearing an amazing gift - PB2.  Never heard of it before?  Neither had we but now that we've tried it we are hooked! 



PB2 is an amazing product from Bell PlantationIt's powdered peanut butter, which is made by removing all of the oil from roasted peanuts.  For those of you watching your fat intake, that means that PB2 has 85% less fat than regular peanut butter - just 1.5 grams per 2 tbsp serving!  And what's cool is that the only ingredients in PB2 are peanuts, sugar, and salt.  (And not even much sugar and salt, at that.)  No weird chemicals or ingredients you can't pronounce.  You can read the all of the nutrition information here.  (There is also a chocolate version but the plain is more versatile; plus you can add cocoa powder and voila!  Chocolate PB2.)

To use PB2, you simply add water and use it like regular peanut butter.  Or you can stir it into other liquids if you just want it as flavoring.  Now I'm sure there are some skeptics out there.  Let me address a few of your possible concerns.

1. Aren't you missing out on the health benefits of peanut butter?  Yes, nutritionally speaking, PB2 is not a replacement for peanut butter.  However, as long as you follow a healthy diet that includes adequate protein and good fats, this shouldn't be a problem. 

2. Could it really taste as good as peanut butter?  I think it entirely depends on how you're using it.  Would I whip up a batch to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?  Never!  Only homemade peanut butter will do for that.  Would I use it to replace the peanut butter in my PB Energy Bites?  Heck no.  Would I add it in small amounts to smoothies, raw ice cream, or cookie dough balls?  Most definitely!  PB2 is to peanut butter what cocoa powder is to chocolate.  It's an excellent way to add flavor to foods without the heaviness that comes from peanut butter.  

3. Is it expensive?  If you order it from Amazon for $8.49, then yes it is.  Your better bet is to order directly from Bell Plantation where you can get a 4-pack for $15.96.  So the cost is another reason I am using mine judiciously.


You can see it has a texture similar to cocoa powder.

You can find a lot of recipes on the Bell Plantation website but since PB2 seems to be viewed in large part as a diet food, many of them utilize Splenda and most are not vegan.  I haven't gone through them enough to see if some can be made vegan and Splenda-free but I'm sure it's possible.  

The main thing I've done with mine is make PB2 Balls.  It took many trials and taste tests with varying amounts of hemp protein or flour in place of some of the oats but this recipe doesn't use either and I think it's the best so far in terms of taste and texture.  If you want to up the protein, you could swap 1 tbsp of oats for 1 tbsp protein powder.  For a more chewier version, you could swap 1 tbsp of the quick-cooking oats with 1 tbsp of old-fashioned oats.  Anytime you switch something up, be aware that you might need to add more or less water than what my recipe originally calls for.

This recipe makes 3 balls.  You can double or triple the batch and store them in the refrigerator but I like to make just enough to eat that day.  These remind me of the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Larabars.  yum!




PB2 Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Ingredients:

5 tbsp quick-cooking oats
2 tbsp PB2*
1 tbsp vegan chocolate chips 
1 tbsp agave nectar 
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp water
 
Directions: 

Place all ingredients in a small bowl and stir to mix well.  Roll dough into three balls (I use my Pampered Chef small scoop) and place in a covered container.  If you want to eat them soon, put them in the freezer for an hour.  If you can wait longer, the refrigerator is fine.  Of course, you could also just eat it all right out of the bowl with a spoon.  Who am I to judge?

Makes 3 balls.

*If you don't have PB2 you can substitute regular peanut butter, probably 2 tbsp. but you may need to reduce the amount of water slightly.  Please leave a comment below if you make this substitution! 


**Please note that while some bloggers get free products in exchange for writing stellar reviews, I am none such blogger.  While I wouldn't refuse a free jar of PB2, I bought mine and merely want to share my new-found love with you.


What do you think about PB2?  Have you tried it?  Would you try it?

19 comments:

  1. Great recipe!!!! I tried it tonight and loved it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, just saw your comment, Corrie Anne! Thanks for letting me know that you made these - I'm so glad they were good!! I went on a kick where I ate them every day for 2 weeks straight! LOL! :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE PB2... I like just a little bowl and I dip my apple slices into it- YUM!..Made PB2 plus zero calorie shirataki mini muffins- low cal and delicious!

    http://mitochondrialdepletionsyndrome.blogspot.com/2012/06/mini-pb2chocolate-shirataki-muffins.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apples and PB - you can't go wrong! :) Thanks for visiting my blog and sharing a recipe. I'll check it out!

      Delete
  3. I eat pb2 everyday since I started my weight loss kick a year ago, 140 pounds down and 24 to go... Thanks for sharing. I will be making these tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment! I hope you enjoy these and good luck with the last 24 pounds. You can do it! :)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE PB2!!!! I'm not a fan of agave nectar... if I omitted that, would I interchange with honey? or Truvia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you could use honey instead. Or maple syrup? If you use a dry sweetener you might need to add a bit more water.

      Delete
  5. i actually
    do use mine much as
    i would regular peanut butter

    it tastes great on a pbj sandwich!

    {alison}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! made this recipe 2x recently, once with honey and once with agave nectar. I definitely enjoyed it better with agave nectar. Perfect portion sizing, and my non-healthy friends were delighted with the taste. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love to hear that non-healthy friends like the healthy treats we make for them! :)

      Delete
  7. Not bad but I taste a lot of vanilla, isnt a tablespoon too much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara,
      The recipe calls for 1 teaspoon. 1 tablespoon would be too much! :)

      Delete
  8. I am in LOVE with these! Perfect for when I get a sugar attack and need something sweet! I currently keep a food journal and track my calories. Do you know how many calories are in each?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you love them! I actually don't count calories myself so I have no idea how many are in these. You could pretty easily figure it out by entering the ingredients into My Fitness Pal or similar App or online food tracker. Good luck!

      Delete
  9. OMG these are good! I've just made some without the choco chips as I've run out but they still taste YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like them, Emma! They are also good with shredded unsweetened coconut instead of chocolate chips. Try that sometime! :)

      Delete
  10. These are my new go-to for when I need a sweet fix! Thank you! BTW, only 1 ball made it to the freezer, they were great right out of the bowl.

    ReplyDelete