Monday, September 1, 2014

Injury Update - Still a Pain in the Butt

It's been 4 months since the pain in my butt started and unfortunately, it's still there.  It's a persistent bugger.  My diagnosis started as piriformis syndrome but now we know it's actually high hamstring tendinopathy.  Here are the things I've done to try to heal the injury:
  • 8 sessions of PT at Henry Ford Fairlane (30 min each, not very aggressive)
  • 10 sessions of PT at ATI - Ann Arbor (60+ min each, aggressive therapy)
  • 2 week complete break from running
  • Yoga 3-4 times per week
  • Deep tissue massage
  • Thai yoga massage
  • Acupuncture and cupping therapy
  • Daily stretches for hamstring
  • Strength training for accessory areas - hips and glutes in particular
While at ATI (which, by the way, is an amazing place to go for PT), the physical therapists used a few different machines - ultrasound, E-stim, and something they called "The Hammer" - all to help speed up the healing process.  They had me working hard while I was there and closely monitored my progress.  I had the chance to work with Tim Broe, who filmed me running and gave me exercises to help correct my form (posture, stride) so that I can prevent this injury from happening again.


The therapists at ATI did everything they could for me.  I had made progress but not enough.  It was time to see an orthopedic doctor.  Thankfully I was able to get an appointment right away at Dearborn Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.  I saw Dr. Plagens, the team doctor for the Detroit Red Wings.  He concurred with the inflammation diagnosis and put me on an oral Cortisone taper for 6 days (6 pills on day 1, 5 pills on day 2, etc), followed by an anti-inflammatory drug.  I am supposed to be stretching several times throughout the day.  He also advised to "take it easy" with running - whatever that means. I see him again 2 weeks from today.


It's hard to say how much better I'm feeling.  The pain is less intense when running - more of a dull aching than a stabbing - but it's still there.  I can drive for longer periods of time before it becomes excruciating but it's still uncomfortable.  My legs are seemingly always tired and my speed just isn't there.  Am I better than a month ago?  Yes.  But I am far from "better."  It's frustrating.  

So I will continue with the stretching and anti-inflammatory until I see Dr. Plagens again.  He said if things are not improved he will look into other options for me, including an MRI to see if there is more going on.  

I will keep you posted.


1 comment:

  1. I hope you are running pain-free soon. My previous breaks were all my choice until recently - I never realized how hard it was to NOT be able to run!

    Hope you have a great start to the school year!

    ~kaci

    ReplyDelete