|This is a basket we put together to take to Christmas dinner. |
(photo by Brian)
Brian and I always do a lot of holiday baking. We love to make a variety of cookies and chocolates and then give them away as gifts, take to parties, etc. Since I went vegan, I’ve only made 2-3 of our cookies animal-free for selfish reasons. If they weren’t vegan, I couldn’t eat them. So long temptation, right? This year I decided to be a more conscious baker and make almost all* the cookies vegan. The result? DELICIOUS cookies . . . but a LOT of them! I just can’t help myself around cookies. It’s like I grow shaggy blue fur, my eyes get big and googly, and I can only think about one thing – COOKIES! Even hiding them in the spare bedroom behind a closed door didn't deter me. If there are vegan cookies I will find them!
By now the cookies have been all eaten . . . mostly by me. BUT it’s a new year. Vacation is over and it’s back to the usual routine, which means I’ll be back on a regular eating and working out schedule. After several gallons of water, lots of raw fruits and vegetables, my trusty Yogi Detox Tea, and a few good sweat sessions, I’ll awake from my sugar- and carbohydrate-induced coma and finally feel like myself again (fingers crossed!). Thankfully Christmas only comes once a year, right?
I’ll be posting some of these recipes in the future but for now here’s our 2010 cookie list:
- Gingerbread Cookies – The Joy of Vegan Baking
- Sugar Cookies - Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook (veganized)
- Coconut Macaroons
- Five-Minute Coconut Fudge (crystallized ginger variation)
- Scottish Shortbread
- Vanilla-Chai Snowflake Cookies
- Ritz Cracker Thin Mints
- Candy Cane Cookies
- Chocolate Mint Balls
* Brian is always solely responsible for 2 cookies – the Scottish shortbread and coconut macaroons. While both shortbread and macaroons can and have been made vegan, these particular recipes would not be the same if veganized. I will, however, be searching for the closest possible vegan replacement…
What are your favorite holiday cookies to bake or eat?