Saturday, September 10, 2011

Simple Sides: Broccoli Slaw

When I was at Kroger a couple weeks ago I saw a bag of broccoli slaw for only $0.99.  It was a "manager's special" because it was dated for that day (unlike the soy yogurt that was dated for 2 weeks ago and was NOT on sale).  We were having sushi for dinner and I usually like to have raw vegetables - carrots or snap peas - with my sushi rolls.  Why not broccoli slaw instead?  

I already had my favorite dressing mixed up in the fridge so I just dumped the whole bag of slaw into a large bowl, poured the dressing over it, mixed it up, and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours until we were ready to eat.  

I ordered one sushi roll instead of two so I had enough room to eat the entire bowl of slaw.  Normally I wouldn't recommend eating that much broccoli in one sitting...but I couldn't let it go to waste!



 

Broccoli Slaw with Agave-Dijon Dressing
(printable recipe)

Agave-Dijon dressing:

Mix equal parts Dijon mustard, agave nectar, and white wine vinegar.  Add a little bit of ground flax seeds and whole flax seeds.  Shake or whisk well.  As it sits it thickens up a bit so make in advance.  (optional: add a pinch of xanthan gum for a thicker dressing)

Pour desired amount of dressing over the broccoli slaw in a container with a lid.  Stir to combine, cover, and refrigerate for at least an hour.  Before serving, add fresh ground pepper to taste.  

To make it heartier, add canned chickpeas and dried cranberries.

Have you eaten broccoli slaw?  If so, how did you make it?

No comments:

Post a Comment