Sunday, October 7, 2012

On the Run: Brooksie Way 1/2 Marathon 2012


I think 2012 will be remembered on Vegan Road Runner as "The Year of the PR."  It seems like every race I run I set a new PR!  Last Sunday was no exception when I ran the Brooksie Way Half Marathon in Rochester Hills.  This was the second year I ran the race, the last time being in 2010.  I love this course because of the beautiful scenery along the Clinton River and Paint Creek Trails at this time of year.  I also love it for the hills.  As you can see from the elevation chart below, the second half is a bit more challenging than the first! 




Mile 9
My initial plan was to run with the a pace group, something I've never done before.  I was nervous to do it because the group runs at the same pace for the whole race, whereas I tend to start out slower and pick up the pace as the race goes on.  I wasn't sure I could keep up at the beginning but figured I would at least catch up later on if I lagged behind.  I chose the fastest pace group - 1:40 - but hoped to finish in less time than that.  I ran with the group for the first half mile but was feeling so good that I quickly pulled ahead and never looked back.  

I ended up finishing the race in 1:33:33 - 9 minutes faster than in 2010 and 5 minutes faster than my previous half marathon PR earlier this year!  There are some fast women in my age group, though.  I hoped to place but finished 4th.  The 3rd place finisher was just 30 seconds ahead of me.  Argh, SO close!  Another challenge for next year!


Time 
1:33:33

Pace 
7:08/mile

Fuel 
Vanilla Chia Pudding (this recipe, minus the cocoa), banana

Tunes
Everyone I Know / Lightning Love
Pickin' Up the Pieces / Fitz & the Tantrums
Don't Stop (Color on the Walls) / Foster the People
Smooth Criminal / Alien Ant Farm
Mountain Sound / Of Monsters and Men
  You Called Me / Mayer Hawthorne
Runaway Baby / Bruno Mars
Hurts Like Heaven / Coldplay
Second Chance / Peter Bjorn & John
Under Cover of Darkness / The Strokes
Sixteen Saltines / Jack White
Born This Way / Lady Gaga
This Fire / Franz Ferdinand
Misery / Maroon 5
Telephone / Pomplamoose
  Kick Drum Heart / The Avett Brothers
Hooked / Mayer Hawthorne
Little Lion Man / Mumford and Sons
Kiss with a Fist / Florence & the Machine
I'm Shakin' / Jack White
Felt / Garbage
  One Engine / The Decemberists
  Shut Up and Drive / Rihanna
Supermassive Black Hole / Muse
Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) / Kelly Clarkson
Blood for Poppies / Garbage
E.T. / Katy Perry

Gorgeous stained-glass finishers' medal

Next race: Detroit Free Press Half Marathon - Sunday, October 21st

No comments:

Post a Comment