Sunday, October 21, 2012

On the Run: Detroit Free Press 1/2 Marathon 2012

Jaime and me before the race.

Today I ran my 5th half marathon of the year and while I didn't get too geeked about the other 4, there's something about the Free Press race that seems larger than life.  Maybe it's because it's an international race that crosses the Ambassador Bridge into Canada and back through the tunnel.  That's pretty unique.  In addition to the half marathon there are 4 additional races so it's a huge event with something like 24,000 runners.  Plus I had a lot of friends running today so there was that sense of camaraderie that I didn't necessarily have with the other races.  Not to mention all the hype surrounding the race!

And, with this being my last half of the season, I was putting some pressure on myself for one final PR.  I ran the Brooksie Way three weeks ago in 1:33:33 so my goal was 1:33:00.  I finished today in 1:32:37.  Ohhhh yeah! 

I started out with a 1:35 pace group (7:15/mile) because I wasn't sure how I would do with crowds at the beginning and the bridge.  I was the only girl in the group, which I thought was pretty damn cool.  Around mile 6 I decided it was time to pick up the pace so I gradually started to speed up.  By the time I exited the tunnel at mile 8, I'd gone rogue.  I found myself a running buddy who was doing legs 1-2 of the relay but he ended up going all the way to the finish line after the exchange point.  He really helped push me to reach my goal at the end.  A little bit better than my goal, actually!  Wahoo!

Note the personalization on the bib!  Winking smile

Time 
1:32:37

Pace 
7:04/mile

Fuel 
Vanilla Chia Pudding (this recipe, minus the cocoa), banana

Tunes
Everyone I Know / Lightning Love
Don't Stop (Color on the Walls) / Foster the People
Brainwascht / Ben Folds
Youth Without Youth / Metric
  You Called Me / Mayer Hawthorne
Don't Shut 'Em Down / Flogging Molly
1983 / Neon Trees
Dancing Shoes / Arctic Monkeys
Runaway Baby / Bruno Mars
Lucid Dreams / Franz Ferdinand
We Found Love / Rihanna
Hooked / Mayer Hawthorne
Sixteen Saltines / Jack White
Misery / Maroon 5
  Selfish Man / Flogging Molly
Dynamite / Taio Cruz
Lonely Boy / The Black Keys
In the Clouds / Under the Influence of Giants
I'm Shakin' / Jack White
I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor / Arctic Monkeys
Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) / Kelly Clarkson
  Panic Switch / Silversun Pickups
  Party Rock Anthem /LMFAO
Do It Anyway / Ben Folds Five
Bodysnatchers / Radiohead
Felt / Garbage
 Mercy / Duffy

Finisher medal - 1953 Chevy Corvette

2 comments: