Sunday, December 1, 2013

Stuffed Sweet Dumpling Squash

I reached for an acorn squash the other day at the market as I usually do when I'm going to make this favorite fall recipe.  Sitting right next to the acorn, however, was a different kind of squash that caught my eye.  It was the shape of an acorn squash but the color of a delicata (my favorite!).  What could this be? I wondered. When I saw the name I knew I had to get it.  Sweet dumpling.  How cute is that?!? A sweet dumpling squash! And I hoped since it looked comparable to the delicata it would have a similar sweet taste, which it did.  yay!

You can make this recipe using any winter squash.  We've made it many times with acorn and it's turned out great.  If you do find a sweet dumpling or delicata, I recommend choosing that for it's sweet flavor.



Stuffed Sweet Dumpling Squash
Ingredients:

1 sweet dumpling squash
1/4 cup couscous
1/4 cup boiling water
1/2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 Vidalia onion, finely chopped
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
2 tbsp. dried cranberries

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Cut the squash in half and remove seeds.  Place cut sides down in a baking dish.  Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.  Turn cut sides up.  Bake, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes more or until tender.

2. While the squash is cooking, prepare the couscous by pouring the boiling water over the couscous.  Set aside while the water absorbs.  Chop the onion and pepper.  
3. When there is about 10 minutes left on the squash, preheat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the olive oil; heat.  Add the onion and green pepper; sauté until softened and fragrant.

4. Add the BOCA crumbles and cook until heated, about 2-3 minutes.  If things start to stick add a little bit of water.  Add the couscous and stir to combine.  Heat through.  Add the cranberries at the end and stir.

5. Remove the squash from the pan and evenly divide the couscous mixture between halves.  Serve immediately.

Serves 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment