Sunday, February 16, 2014

On the Run: Riverview Winterfest 4-Mile Run 2014

First race of the season!  While normally this would leave me bouncing off the walls with excitement, I was less thrilled than usual.  In part I was tired - I've been running a lot, and sleeping little.  But the other part - the bigger part - was the weather that morning. We got a few inches over night so the roads were completely snow-covered.  

I needed a total of 16 miles that day so I went out for a pre-race 12-miler in my neighborhood. It was the perfect opportunity to test out my new Kinvara GTX shoes that had arrived earlier in the week.  I also strapped on my Yaktrax for good measure.  They were the perfect combo for the conditions!  I wasn't sure about using them for the race but the roads were slippery enough with them I figured I better take them along just in case and scout out the course.

Good thing I did because the whole course was snow-covered.  So a new first for me - racing in Yaktrax.  I started up at the front of the pack and immediately there were a few fast ladies that went ahead of me.  My strategy isn't ever to fly out of the gate, however, and this race was certainly no exception.  After my pre-race miles and with the snow, I didn't really have high expectations but felt surprisingly good once I got going.  As I approached a turn-around near mile 2 I passed a girl and saw there were only 3 others ahead of me.  I was able to pass 1 of them just after mile 2 but I couldn't catch the others.  1st and 2nd place finished only 3 seconds apart.  I finished 3rd, 17 seconds behind 2nd place.  

Overall it was a good race.  I did NOT improve upon last year's time (haha - THAT would have been a miracle!) but was happy with my 3rd place finish and had fun with the run. It felt great to get out there and race again!  I also got this cool frosty pint glass for placing 2nd in my age group.  




Time
29:33

Pace
7:23/mile

Fuel
Banana

Tunes
Hazy Shade of Winter / The Bangles
California Dreamin' / The Mamas & the Papas
Snow (Hey Oh) / The Red Hot Chili Peppers
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out / Bruce Springsteen
Love Like Winter / AFI
Snowsuit Sound / Sloan
Snowball / Devo
Immigrant Song / Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross
Cold Day in the Sun / Foo Fighters


No comments:

Post a Comment