Thursday, January 1, 2015

Finding Peace in 2015

As we begin another year, I'm reading many Facebook posts about running goals - new distances, PRs to be set, favorite races to be run again.  Registration opened at midnight for the Detroit Free Press marathon and it seems everyone I know signed up for it already! I love the enthusiasm and look forward to seeing it continue throughout the year with training plans and race day excitement.  This is the first year that I'm not signing up for the Detroit relay, half, or full in 8 years.  I love running in Detroit but am planning to run Chicago instead, which is the week before.  I have a qualifying time, Brian has family there, we love the city, and it's time for something different.  The good thing is I'll be in Detroit on race day to cheer on all my friends along the course!

It isn't realistic for me to set specific running goals right now, considering I'm not able to run.  I'm trying to be brave while I work on my recovery but I don't know what the future holds.  Not knowing when I'll be able to run again is scary.  I feel this quote is very fitting for me as I look to the year ahead. 



Coach Terra at Detroit Tough asked me to think of a word to focus on for the new year. After much thought, I chose PEACE - finding peace in what I do, making peace with my decisions, with myself, with the things I cannot change.  Being at peace with not knowing what might come next.  


If you chose a word to focus on, what would your word be?



2 comments: