Saturday, March 12, 2011

Black bean burgers

Last weekend I made the easiest, most delicious black bean burgers I've ever eaten!  I got the recipe from Sherry over at Exploits of a Vegan WannabeI followed the recipe with her modifications, although I used parsley instead of cilantro.  To blend all the ingredients, I used my Vita-Mix, being careful not to turn the mixture into black bean soup.  

The only thing I adjusted was the baking temperature and time because I was also making sweet potato chips.  I baked them at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, then flipped for another 8 minutes.  At the end I put them under the broiler for about 3 minutes per side.  We topped ours with avocado, tomato, and Newman's salsa.  The burgers were very meaty and firm.  They didn't crumble or fall apart like other homemade burgers I've attempted.  My hamburger-loving husband loved them, too, and thought that the texture was rather meat-like, both before and after cooking.  (I'm including this commentary for anyone who wants to try and win over a carnivorous diner with a meat-free yet meaty alternative to hamburgers.)  

We got 6 large burgers out of the recipe (the first two were actually rather huge - I hadn't considered how filling they would be!).  I'd like to experiment with cooking the burgers and freezing them.  Although I love having Amy's Quarter-Pound veggie burgers to throw on the grill, these would be an even healthier alternative.  Plus, knowing that I made them myself is pretty darn cool.

Thanks again, Sherry!

No comments:

Post a Comment