Thursday, March 24, 2011

Leftover creations – Steamed veggies marinara with spinach noodles

After a day of indulging in 3 too many PB Energy Bites, I needed a wholesome dinner.  I had a race in the morning and didn’t want to awaken to find myself in a sugar coma.  I wasn’t in the mood to really cook anything but also didn’t want to eat out.   


I scrounged around in the fridge and found leftover sun-dried tomato and sweet basil pasta sauce and some vegetables - fresh broccoli florets, the end of a bag of baby carrots, half a red pepper, and two button mushrooms.  I also had some spinach pasta in the cupboard so while I cooked a small amount of that I steamed all the veggies in the microwave.  Then I just put the veggies on top of the noodles, dumped all the sauce on top, and sprinkled nutritional yeast over it.   

Yum!  It was so delicious and filling, but not something that weighed me down since it was mostly veggies with very few noodles.  Oh, I also had a slice of sourdough bread, toasted, with a little Earth Balance and garlic powder.  I wasn’t going to but the end of the loaf was just sitting there calling my name.  And hey, I needed my carbs for the race, right?

What's your favorite pre-race meal?

No comments:

Post a Comment