Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Birthday Weekend

Having pneumonia and a sinus infection sure puts a damper on one's birthday plans.  Brian and I were going to have dinner Saturday night at the Majestic Cafe with Katie and Tony before going to see Capture the Flag and The Armed at the Magic Stick.  I figured no one wanted to sit at a table with or next to someone who spent more time coughing than eating so we decided to reschedule dinner.  And as for the show, my cough only gets worse as the night wears on so by 11:00 p.m., I'd have spent the entire show doubled over hacking away.  

So we changed our plans.  We drove out to Whole Foods in Ann Arbor to pick up some prepared foods to eat at home while we watched the Tigers game.  (Well, I watched until the first rain delay and then went to sleep.  The Tigers lost anyway.)

California Quinoa (edamame, cilantro, coconut, mango, almonds, red pepper, onions, raisins, lime juice, balsamic vinegar)

Eggplant Manicotti and Sesame Greens

On my birthday - Sunday - I had planned to run the Big House Big Heart 10K in Ann Arbor.  When I found out I couldn't run I was really thrown off.  I'd been planning it for weeks!  I didn't know what I wanted to do instead.  I had thought about going to Avalon for a date bar but was having such a coughing fit when I woke up that I decided against it.  They already don't like us at the bakery and this would be the nail in the coughin'.  (hee hee)  So I had my Banana Chamomile Morning Smoothie (needed the hydration anyway) and relaxed at home with the paper and some coffee. It was a really low-key day, since I'm so darn tired these days.


For dinner Brian and I made Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes, baked green tomatoes, and coleslaw.  The tempeh cakes recipe is from Vegan Brunch but you can also get the recipe here.  Brian made a vanilla cake with coconut-vanilla frosting for dessert - a recently-discovered favorite!

Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes

Baked Green Tomatoes

On Monday we got up early and drove out to Erwin Orchards in South Lyon.  They have a cider mill, u-pick orchards, a corn maze, and activities for kids.  It's been around for 90 years!  The weather was gorgeous so it was a perfect day to just walk around and enjoy the sunshine and fresh air.






 There were lots of great photo ops!  









And I made some new friends!



I tried to sneak in a workout...but Brian said not with my pneumonia.



Brian enjoyed his cider and donut and then we got out of there just as the school buses pulled in.


After Erwin's we went to Lush so I could buy a few bubble bars, some Toothy Tabs, and a massage bar.  I'm still not feeling much better so a little pampering is definitely in order.  (Thanks, Mom, for the gift certificate!)

That was my birthday weekend!  I wish I'd been feeling better but all it all it was a pretty good birthday.  

Hopefully I'll be healthy and running again soon.  Keep your fingers crossed for me and I'll let you know as soon as I'm back out there hitting the pavement!

No comments:

Post a Comment