Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Golden Ticket

When we first started to get beets in our share this summer, Katie and I were really excited.  Beets are awesome!  Golden beets are even more awesome!  But when we got beets week after week after week, the novelty sort of wore off.  We couldn't keep up with them.  Seriously, you can only eat so many beets. 


Neither of us wanted the beets.  When I went back to work, Katie started getting the share and she would sneak the beets into the bottom of the bag when she'd drop off my half.  Gee, thanks, Katie.  Soon my vegetable drawer had a month's worth of beets in it.

Last week I picked up our share and found myself with 6 more beets.  I was going to make Katie take them but then I had an idea to make a golden beet soup.  She didn't mind me keeping all of them so I combined them with a few beets I already had and some carrots I bought from Farmer Glen.  

This is probably the first soup I've made completely on my own without following a recipe. It turned out so well I'd make it again.  It's smooth and creamy, sweet and delicious.  The addition of rosemary at the end is essential - don't leave it out!  We enjoyed it with a simple salad and the easiest, cheapest, best biscuits ever.  

I was happy to use up so many beets all at once.  Not that my vegetable drawer is beet-free yet...but there's definitely a lot more room in there now!



Golden Beet and Carrot Bisque
(printable recipe)

Ingredients:

9 golden beets, peeled and cut into chunks
5 sweet carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1-inch piece of ginger, grated
4 cups vegetable broth
black pepper, to taste

Fresh chopped rosemary, or dried, as garnish

Directions:

1. Prepare all the veggies and put them into 4-quart slow-cooker.  Add broth and pepper.  Stir to combine.

2. Set slow-cooker to low and cook for 8 hours.

3. Puree soup using an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender.  Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh or dried rosemary.

Makes 4 servings.

What is your favorite way to prepare golden beets?

2 comments:

  1. This made a delicious dinner tonight! I must admit that my collection of golden beets was diminished so half the beets were a deep, glistening purple-red. Nice sweet-spicy flavor and a beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete