Saturday, October 5, 2013

On the Run: Brooksie Way 1/2 Marathon 2013

Although it wasn't my first race of the season, in my opinion, the Brooksie Way is the race that officially kicks off Fall.  It's the last weekend in September, so the weather is starting to cool off a bit and get into those perfect racing temps.  The leaves are starting to change color and with a course like Brooksie, you get to take it a lot of scenery!  In fact, it's the most scenic course around without having to drive up to the UP.  It takes you along the Clinton River Trail and Paint Creek Trail, both of which have a lot of trees.  Aside from the weather and scenery, the tee shirt and finisher's medal always have leaves on them so that is very fall-like, as well.  I'm not necessarily a sucker for medals but I do have to say that this is one a looker!

 

On the day of the race I was scheduled to run 20 miles.  The race started at 8:05 so I arrived at 6:30 to get in 5 miles ahead of time.  My plan was to run them easy, around an 8:30 pace.  Well . . . that turned into more of a 7:45ish pace.  oops.  But I was feeling good so I went with it.  After I was done I had time to use the bathroom, eat a banana, and talk to some friends.  Then I squeezed into my corral - boy was it crowded! - and had about 5 minutes to go before the start.

And I was off!  My 5 mile warm-up really helped me be able to get going at a good pace.  For the first 4 miles my pace gradually decreased as I settled into the race and slowly broke away from the crowds.  Brooksie has rolling hills that start around mile 7 and take you through the end of the race.  (Oh how I LOVE the hills!!)  My pace slowed at miles 8-9 but after that I was able to speed up and kept it consistent for 10-12.  Then for mile 13 I knocked off a whole 30 seconds to kick it out strong to the end.  


I finished in 1:32:30, placing 3rd in my age group, 8th woman overall.  I was only 2 seconds behind the girl ahead of me but because of chip timing, I didn't realize how close she was.  Had I known I might have poured a bit more on at the end!  But I was really giving it my all so I don't know if I could have done any more than I did.  This was a new course PR for me, beating last year's time of 1:33:33.  It was also a new half PR, beating my Free Press time of 1:32:37.  Considering this was my last half of the year, I was definitely excited to end on a high note!

After the race I ran 2 more miles to finish out my 20 for the day.  Those miles I did take easy.  I swear.

Time  
1:32:30 

Pace 
7:04/mile 

Fuel 
Vanilla Chia Pudding, banana

Tunes 
Off to the Races / Lana Del Rey 
Never Wanted Your Love / She & Him 
Over Here, Over There / Dr. Dog 
Lately / Soul Asylum 
Song Away / Hockey 
Bitter Rivals / Sleigh Bells 
Blurred Lines / Robin Thicke 
Everything / Nine Inch Nails 
The Great Defector / Bell X1 
Locked Out of Heaven / Bruno Mars 
Sixteen Saltines / Jack White 
Worship You / Vampire Weekend 
I Will Wait / Mumford & Sons 
Spark / Fitz & the Tantrums 
Better Left Unsaid / Otto Vector 
You've Got Time / Regina Spektor 
Dance Apocalyptic / Janelle Monae 
The Innocent / Mayer Hawthorne 
Good Time / Owl City (Ft. Carly Rae Jepsen)
All is Well / Soul Asylum 
Tap Out / The Strokes 
Battleflag / LoFidelity Allstars
Chop and Change / The Black Keys
Can't Hold Us / Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
The Antidote / St. Vincent 
Brave / Sara Bareilles

Next race: Detroit Free Press Marathon, October 20th

What's your favorite Fall race?
 

3 comments: