Sunday, January 29, 2012

Dinner for One: Chickpeas and Broccoli

WARNING: This dish WILL stink up your house, possibly causing your husband and his friends to wonder if the cat sh*t in the very room in which they are sitting. 

True story. 

Last night Brian had some friends over and they were recording an album in his music studio in the basement.  Left to my own devices for dinner, I decided make something with whatever I could find in the cupboard and refrigerator.  I came up with something simple - a can of chickpeas and a bag of fresh broccoli florets.  Toss it all together in a pan with some teriyaki sauce (obviously my go-to choice) and you're done.  I also added a few other flavors and the result was delicious. 

What was so funny, though, was that as I was happily cooking up my broccoli, I suddenly heard the guys start to complain about a disgusting smell in the basement.  

"Ugh, what's that smell?"

"It smells like cat sh*t."

"That's the worst thing I've smelled in my life!"

After a brief discussion they decided that Jasper (who can definitely clear a room) must have dropped a bomb but the smell wasn't coming from the litter box.  Brian came upstairs to alert me and I told him I was making broccoli.

"Ohhhhhh, broccoli!  Guys, Amanda's making broccoli!"

"Ohhhhhh, broccoli!  Hey, actually that smells kind of good."

True story.


Chickpeas and Broccoli


Ingredients:
1 bag broccoli florets
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (low-sodium preferred)
2 tbsp orange juice
2 tbsp water
2 tsp corn starch
1/4 tsp garlic powder
red pepper flakes, to taste

Directions:

1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add water to coat.  Add broccoli. Stir, cover, and steam for 5 minutes or until broccoli is bright green and crisp tender.

2. While broccoli is cooking, combine teriyaki sauce, orange juice, water, corn starch, and garlic powder in a small bowl.  Whisk until there are no lumps.

3. When the broccoli is ready, add the chickpeas and sauce.  Stir to combine.  Cover and simmer for 5 minutes to heat through.  Uncover and cook until sauce is thickened and reduced, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.  Season to taste with red pepper flakes.

Serves 1.

NOTE: To make this into a meal for two, serve over whole-grain pasta or brown rice.

What do you like to eat that tastes better than it smells?

3 comments:

  1. I can't really think of anything that tastes better than it smells other than things that are heavily dependent on cruciferous vegetables... They are worth it though!

    ReplyDelete