Monday, January 2, 2012

Our Christmas Feast

Big Gary the Gingerbread Man mug says, "Merry Christmas!"

This is a little late but I will post it nonetheless.  Every year on Christmas morning Brian and I start the day out with a special breakfast.  We make pancakes, French toast, or waffles - usually some recipe that we either haven't made or don't make often - and some vegan sausage and fruit.  This year I used a recipe from The Vegan Slow Cooker for a French toast casserole that has sausage and pears cooked right into it.  I was able to prep everything the night before, combine it in the morning, and turn it on to cook while Brian and I exchanged presents, made coffee, and did some prep work for having my family over that evening.  It was so easy and delicious and by far the healthiest French toast recipe I've ever made.  The leftovers warmed up deliciously the next day.  The recipe called for whole-wheat bread but we used Corktown Cinnamon Raisin from Avalon.  (A worthy substitution!)

Pear and Cardamon French Toast Casserole

{I'd love to share the recipe but I can't post it without permission from the author or publisher.  Let me know if you're interested, though, and I can send you an email.}

My parents and Andrew and Jaime came over for dinner.  We had an amazing feast.  This was the first all-vegan holiday dinner we've had. Brian didn't make a pork loin like he did two years ago to go alongside the chickpea cutlets. Andrew didn't smuggle in turkey through the back door like he did last Thanksgiving.  Jaime made her mashed potatoes cruelty-free so as not to sully the integrity of the vegan table.  And we drank only red wine since almost no white wines are vegan.  

Every dish was delicious and satisfying.  We were definitely full but because it was all healthy we weren't left feeling overly stuffed and weighed down.  The pie I made for dessert was only so-so (and the texture was, to be honest, quite disturbing) but with so many other holiday treats around - such as all the vegan cookies, fudge, truffles, and cinnamon roasted almonds - that was okay.

Lentil loaf
Gravy
Jaime's mashed potatoes
Roasted root vegetables (recipe here)
Avalon rolls - regular and multigrain
Mom's low-sugar cranberry applesauce
Dijon-Herb Green Beans - Happy Herbivore Cookbook
Coconut pudding pie (similar recipe found here)

What was on your holiday dinner table?


No comments:

Post a Comment