Monday, March 24, 2014

Boston Marathon Countdown: 4 Weeks


4 more weeks!  The Red Sox tickets have arrived!  The Duck Tour has been booked!  And the running continues.  The past 2 weeks of training have been pretty intense.  In week 11 I hit my highest mileage ever - 70 - capping it off with the Corktown 5K. When you take it one run at a time it doesn't seem so bad but by the end of the week I was pretty beat down.  I also had a late night of speed work at the track, consisting of the following workout:  1 mile warm up, 5 x (400m-800m) at 5K pace, cool down

Even though week 12 was only 57 miles it felt like a lot more than that!  I probably need a rest but that's just not in my nature.  I was feeling a hamstring pain on most of my runs so I dialed back the pace a bit and didn't do the full mileage on some days.  I wasn't able to make it to yoga, which didn't help.  I finished out the week with another 5K and was able to put in a much better performance than I did at Corktown.  (Race report coming up). 

Here's a look at the past 2 weeks mileage:


Looking ahead, I have Rock CF 1/2 marathon coming up on Sunday.  It's not my goal race so I won't taper for it and will continue to stick to my Boston training plan.  I will, however, get in daily stretching for my hamstring (and my weekly yoga session) so that I hopefully won't have issues with that.  Fingers crossed for warmer weather and sunshine!

Happy running!

Previous Boston Marathon Countdown Posts: 14 Weeks, 12 Weeks10 Weeks8 Weeks, 6 Weeks


No comments:

Post a Comment