Saturday, May 14, 2011

Spring Cleaning - Fiber Filled Cereal Bars


Not only is this spring cleaning recipe one that cleans out your cupboards, but it just might be one that cleans you out, as well!  I chose to use a high-fiber cereal because I had an open box in the cupboard* but you can use any type of healthy cereal.  You’ll need 4 cups total and can mix and match any way you want.  You can also get creative with different dried fruits, add nuts or chocolate chips, or experiment with different sweeteners or nut butters.  My choices were based purely on what I already had open in the cupboard and refrigerator and the result just happened to be delicious!  I forgot to take a picture before they were gone so you’ll have to use your imagination, although they probably look like any other cereal bar you’ve seen.  Go ahead - make them and enjoy!  (But I caution you not to eat too many at once or you may regret it.)

Fiber Filled Cereal Bars
(based on this recipe)

Ingredients:

2 cups oat cereal (I used Cascadian Farms Purely O’s)
2 cups high-fiber cereal (I used Barbara’s High Fiber Original)
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ cup plus 2 tbsp. almond butter (I used Trader Joe's salted with roasted flax seeds)
½ cup brown rice syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, combine cereals, cranberries, coconut, and cinnamon.
2. In a medium bowl, combine almond butter and brown rice syrup.  Microwave for 1 minute on high.  Add the vanilla extract and stir well.
3. Pour liquid over the cereals and stir well to combine.  
4. Press into an 8x8-inch baking pan.  Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.  Putting them in the freezer for 45 minutes will help speed up the process.
 
* Plus I just love fiber!  In some circles I am known as "The Fiber Queen."

No comments:

Post a Comment