Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Spring cleaning - Teriyaki Chickpeas with Gardein Beefless Tips


Last week I made one of the most simply and surprisingly delicious meals I’ve prepared in some time.  As part of my spring cleaning, I wanted to make a meal using only ingredients I already had in my kitchen.   

This recipe from the Happy Herbivore cookbook was perfect since I always have an abundance of canned chickpeas.  I also happened to have some Gardein Beefless Tips in the freezer that I’ve been looking at for the past month, trying to decide what to do with them. I usually opt for chicken-style seitan over beef but the flavor and texture of these were just right.  Adding them to the chickpeas helped round out the meal and gave it a little something extra that it might have been missing otherwise.  I’ve changed the cooking directions slightly from the original recipe and also omitted the optional sugar and hot sauce. 

Served with a side of oven-roasted baby carrots, this was a filling and satisfying meal.


Teriyaki Chickpeas with Gardein Beefless Tips

Ingredients:

¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. teriyaki sauce
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 package Gardein Beefless Tips
Olive oil

Peach-mango salsa (or other fruit salsa, such as mango or pineapple)
1 cup cooked rice (I used brown basmati)

Directions:

1.    Heat a dry skillet over low heat.  Add chickpeas and ¼ teriyaki sauce.  Cook until the sauce has been absorbed, stirring constantly (about 10 minutes).
2.    Heat a separate skillet over medium heat.  Add a small amount of olive oil and the frozen Beefless Tips.  Cook for about 4 minutes, turning tips often to ensure even browning on all sides.
3.    When the chickpeas are ready, add the tips and 2 tbsp. teriyaki sauce, and stir to combine.  Cover skillet; turn off the burner, and let sit for about 1 minute. 
4.    Serve over rice and top with a few spoonfuls of salsa.

Makes 2 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment