Thursday, May 26, 2011

Pizzeria Biga - Southfield, MI


Pizzeria Biga is owned by the same guys who own Bacco Ristorante, an upscale Italian restaurant with a 3-course prix-fixe vegan menu that I have yet to try.  I think you have to dress up to go there and places where you can wear jeans and flip-flops are more my style.

Brian and I had been out driving all afternoon, checking out houses and shopping at Zerbo's, REI, and Trader Joe’s.  It was almost 7:00 and we were both starving.  I had a race* to be ready for the next morning so I was worried about what to eat that would be enough to sustain me so I wasn’t starving in the morning (not a salad) yet wouldn't upset my sensitive stomach (definitely not a bean burger).  I had a mini-meltdown because it's so hard for me to go out to eat and decided I just wanted to go home and get a veggie sandwich from Potbelly.  As we were cruising through Royal Oak, I suddenly thought of Biga when I realized how close we were to Southfield.  It was practically on our way home.  Pizza can be hit or miss for my stomach but I figured what the hell.  It couldn't do that much damage (and thankfully it didn't).

Biga is one of those places that you walk into and immediately feel comfortable.  The aroma of fresh-baked pizza and the glow coming from the hot brick ovens was just what I needed to cheer me up.  The wine I ordered helped a bit, too.

There were a couple of vegan soups and salads on the menu, as well as three vegan pizzas - one white (no sauce) and two red (with sauce), although there are a lot of vegetable toppings so you could surely create your own.  I love pizza sauce but this time I went with the white pizza because the toppings sounded delicious – tomatoes, Kalamata olives, roasted asparagus, and artichokes.   The crust was thin, crispy yet chewy, and (despite the name) not overly oily.  I loved the big popped air bubbles and the slightly charred crust.  It was rather rustic.  The pizza was very tasty without sauce but next time I’ll go for a red pizza…and we are definitely going back!

0lio d'oliva - white pizza with tomatoes, olives, artichikes, and roasted asparagus - $12.00

You can check out their menu on their website; however, it is not very extensive and doesn’t have the vegan items.  The one in the restaurant specifically says “100% vegan” and I trust them.

*The race was the Back to the Beach half marathon at Stony Creek Metropark.  When I woke up at 5 a.m., however, I just didn't have it in me to drive over an hour to run a race I wasn't all that crazy about doing.  So I didn't.  I heard it was one of the hardest half marathons some of the runners had done.  Given my recent energy levels, that made me feel much better about skipping it!

No comments:

Post a Comment