Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Chow Chow Time

A couple of weeks ago I told you how I visited the Perkins Pickles booth at the Dearborn Farmer's Market.  (If you haven't read that post, be sure to check it out!)  While I was there I bought chow chow, which is pickled red cabbage, green tomatoes, pearl onions, carrots, and jalapeños.  It's been sitting on the counter ever since and I've been looking at it daily, trying to decide just the right thing to put it on.  Finally yesterday I decided to just go for it and try it out on some tempeh burgers.  



I followed this recipe from Whole Foods for the tempeh.  Instead of cutting it into 4 pieces, however, I just cut it in half so it was in 2 thick squares.  (It's a lot easier to grill that way.)  Be sure to marinate it well for the best flavor.  I let mine sit for about 4 hours, flipping halfway through.

When the tempeh was ready we served it on whole-wheat buns with Trader Joe's Whole-Grain Dijon Mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, and the chow chow.  Oh wow!  These were the most amazing tempeh burgers I've ever eaten!  The tempeh itself was totally flavorful so even without the chow chow they'd be great.  But with the chow chow?  To die for!



Check out Perkins Pickles on Facebook to find out where you can purchase their chow chow for yourself.  And if you're looking for a simple and delicious tempeh burger, definitely give this recipe a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment