Friday, July 20, 2012

Farmer's Market Fridays - 7/20/12

For the first time in a month the temperature was not already in the 80's when I left the yoga studio at 8 a.m.  I was actually chilly as I sipped my hot coffee and ate my oatmeal outside - but I was certainly not complaining!  What a nice change from 100+ degrees just a few days ago!

After breakfast at Starbucks my mom and I walked over to the market.  I only bought a few vegetables today - some red skin potatoes for Brian (he loves to grill them with garlic and fresh rosemary), a big basket of green and yellow beans, and 4 bright red tomatoes.  We chatted with Brandon from Cellar Door Soap Co. for a bit and I promised to buy soap next week (he said he'll have some new scents - ohhhh boy!).  The Granola Tree wasn't there today so I couldn't sample any jams and peanut butters, or buy another jar of Carrot Cake Jam.  Sad, right?

But then something even more amazing happened.  I met someone famous.  A local celebrity.  

It all began when I stopped at the Perkins Pickles booth to take a picture of their pickles.  (Their pickles are amazing and I needed a picture to share with those who aren't in the loop!)  There was a guy standing there and I looked at the label, then at him, then at the label, and back at him.  The following conversation ensued:

Me: "Is this YOU?"

Him: "Yes it is."

Me: "So YOU'RE Perkins?"

Him: "I'm Perkins."

Me: "I can't believe I'm meeting Perkins!  Of Perkins Pickles!"

And then I went on and on about how exciting it was and my mom said we were meeting a local celebrity and then I got my picture taken with him!  I'm pretty sure we made his day.  (At least we like to think so.)



I found out his name is Tom.  Tom Perkins.  Of Perkins Pickles.  And his pickles really are delicious.  They serve them with the sandwiches and burgers at Woodbridge Pub and Mudgies Deli and you can buy them at a variety of retail locations.  Check out their Facebook page for more details or stop by the market - maybe you'll be lucky enough to meet Tom Perkins yourself!

Oh, but I didn't buy any pickles today.  Instead I bought their chow chow, which is red cabbage, green tomatoes, pearl onions, carrots, and jalapenos.  I'm not sure what I'll try it on yet.  I'm thinking a kidney-quinoa burger or a salad.  It's delicious enough, however, that I could probably eat it straight from the jar!  Mmmmm, chow chow!

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. It was delicious! The chow chow would dress up a veggie burger and has potential as an addition to PB & Raspberry Jam sandwiches. We should have had him autograph the jar....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doh! We totally should have had him autograph the jar! :)

      Delete