Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Delicious Date Bars

Since yesterday was World Vegan Day and November is Vegan MoFo (Month of Food), I figure now is the time to start posting!  My goal is to post something every day of this month so that by the end of the month, it will be a habit.


Today my husband and I went to Avalon Bakery in Detroit.  During the summer I visit the Avalon booth at my local farmers' market to get my weekly date bar fix.  I actually start looking forward to the next Friday as soon as I finish savoring the last bite of my date bar.  Now that it's officially fall, the market is closed and my Fridays just aren't the same.  


With the day off today, my husband and I figured it was a perfect opportunity to head downtown to Avalon.  Now, out of the 10 or so baked goods at the farmers' market, nearly half of them are vegan so I know that Avalon has no shortage of vegan items.  I was surprised, however, by just how many options they have at the bakery!  Cherry bars, apple bars, carrot cake, granola bars, chocolate cake, and about 6 varieties of cookies.  Oh, and date bars.  I was torn.  I couldn't pass up a date bar when it was staring me in the face but I also wanted to try all of the other sweets.  After much deliberation, I decided to get one new thing - a coconut chocolate chip cookie - along with the date bar.  I was going to save both of them for later but the date bar was especially gooey and delicious looking that I had to have it then and there.  It did not disappoint!  I ended up eating the cookie a few hours later.  (Before remembering to take a picture - doh!)  Surely it would not be as good tomorrow, right?  It was tasty but not anything to write home about.  I think next time I'll get either the trail mix cookie or the carrot cake.  Oh, and a date bar.

The Holy Grail of date bars

No comments:

Post a Comment