Monday, November 8, 2010

Un-Stir Fry

My stir-fry plans for last night's dinner had to be modified when I remembered that we don't have a suitable wok.  The non-stick coating on our old one was starting to flake and peel, so we had to throw it away and haven't gotten around to getting a new one yet.  Not to be deterred, I tossed all of the veggies in a baking dish, along with some teriyaki sauce, and roasted them.  The texture turned out surprisingly similar to veggies prepared in a wok.  Although stir-fries are super easy, this was even better because once in the oven, the veggies didn't need much tending to. 

I didn't measure anything out and you could use any combination of veggies/sauce.  Here's what I did:

1. Cut up a variety of vegetables - enough to fill a 9x13 baking dish.  I used broccoli, red bell pepper, carrots, mushrooms, and vidalia onion.  I just made sure that everything looked pretty equal.

2. Add sauce.  I used Trader Joe's Soyaki sauce - just enough to coat everything.  You could use any type of sauce that you would normally use for a stir-fry.

3. Roast in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes (uncovered).  

4. Add about 3/4 of a cored pineapple, cut into bite-sized chunks, and a package of West Soy Chicken-Style Seitan strips.  Stir and return to the oven for another 10 minutes.

5. Serve over rice, adding more sauce if necessary.  

Sadly, I forgot to take a picture last night when I made it and again tonight when we had leftovers.  It was so delicious and I was so hungry (having just come home from a challenging 60-minute cycle class) that I didn't think of it until long after it was gone.  This is a meal I'll certainly be making again so next time I'll be sure to get a picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment