Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pumpkin Pie in a Glass

Because I love my Banana Chamomile Morning Smoothie and Oatmeal Cookie Smoothie so much, it's hard to veer off and try something different.  I did that a few weeks ago with the Cake Batter Green Smoothie from Sarah at Peas and Thank You.  It was not what I hoped for and did not make for a good start to my day.  (There are lots of great recipes on Peas and Thank You so please no offense!  Plus I don't think it helped that my Vitamix blade came off mid-blend and I had green smoothie leaking out all over my counter.)

I've been wanting to make a pumpkin pie smoothie for a while now and have been reading a lot of recipes.  No two are alike.  Using a few of them as guides, I created my own using a similar method to the one I use for my oatmeal cookie smoothie where I soak the oats and spices in almond milk overnight.  I'm not sure how much difference it makes but if nothing else it will save you a few minutes of measuring and mixing in the morning.  Freezing the pumpkin first results in a thick and creamy drink, perfect for these hot pre-summer days we've been having here in Michigan.



Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 tbsp. old-fashioned rolled oats (I use gluten-free)
1 tbsp. agave nectar
2 tbsp. hemp protein powder
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
½ cup pumpkin puree, frozen into cubes (*See note)
1 cup ice cubes
1 frozen banana, optional

1. Combine all ingredients except for the pumpkin, ice, and banana the night before.  Let sit in the fridge over night.
2. In the morning, combine the almond milk mixture with the frozen ingredients and blend until smooth.

Makes 1 large serving.

*NOTE: You don't have to freeze the pumpkin but it makes the smoothie really thick and creamy, almost like a shake.  If you don't freeze it, I'd definitely add the optional frozen banana to achieve that texture.  It also may be a little tough on your blender unless you have a VitaMix or other high-power blender.

No comments:

Post a Comment