Thursday, June 28, 2012

West African Vegetable Stew

This is not a recipe that I can claim as my own.  I repeat - I did not make up this recipe.  It's from Campbell's Kitchen and it's also floating all over the internet on pretty much any recipe site you search.  That's because it's so darn delicious!  I just had to share it with you in case you happen to NOT be familiar with it.  (And because it's everywhere I felt I could share it with you here.)

I've made hardly any changes to it.  Basically I increase the amount of raisins, cinnamon, and spinach and use a sweet onion instead of white onions.  Oh, and I use veg broth instead of chicken (duh).


West African Vegetable Stew

Ingredients:

1 tbsp. olive oil (or water for an oil-free version)
1 large sweet onion, sliced (about 2 cups)
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4" half-slices 
1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 can vegetable broth
1/2 cup water
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 bag baby spinach

Directions:

1. Preheat a large skillet.  Add oil and heat.  Add onion and garlic and saute until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.

2. Add potatoes and tomato.  Cook 5 minutes.  Add raisins, cinnamon, red pepper, broth, and water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.

3. Add chickpeas and spinach.  Heat through.  Serve over cooked rice, couscous, or quinoa, if desired. 

Makes 6 servings.


1 comment:

  1. It is quick, delicious and you do not have to be vegan to love it.

    ReplyDelete